Places in Memphis That Have Free Wifi

Posted by Holly Whitfield | December 5th 2012 19433 0

Memphis may not have city-wide wireless access yet, but there are a ton of places all over Memphis that offer free WiFi to customers. Here's a list:

Free Wifi, Memphis, Tenn.

Downtown

–  South of Beale – A gastropub with great food and a full bar. The wireless is free, just ask your server for the password.

Flying Saucer – A bar and restaurant in the downtown core with one of the biggest beer selections in town. They've got plenty of space (and a daily $2.75 beer special). Ask your server for the password.

City Market – City Market is primarily a grocery store, but they've got a small deli and quite a bit of indoor and outdoor seating if you need to stick around and use the internet.

–  Bardog Tavern – A two-story downtown bar with excellent food. If you need to get some work done early, they've got one of the best breakfasts in town. Ask your server for the password.

Bluff City Coffee – The South Main Arts District's favorite coffee shop. They've got coffee, tea and smoothies and are located within walking distance of the train station, the Memphis Farmer's Market, the Arcade and the Civil Rights museum.

Tennessee Welcome Center – Get off the interstate and get internet access at the Tennessee Welcome Center on Riverside Drive.

Peabody Hotel – The South's grand hotel has free wifi in their amazing lobby.

– The M-Spot – The Memphis Chamber of Commerce runs a wifi hotspot around their office on Front St. There are a handful of tables on a covered patio next to the deli.

Little Cafe Eclectic – The Harbortown outpost of Cafe Eclectic is more of a coffee shop than it's larger, Midtown location. They've got really good coffee, tasty pastries and a small food menu. Also, they've got plenty of comfy chairs.

Bon-Ton Cafe – After a four-year hiatus, the Bon-Ton Cafe on Monroe is open for breakfast and lunch Monday – Saturday. Try the tomato basil soup if they have it.

Dream Berry Frozen Yogurt – Load up a cup with frozen yogurt and toppings, pay by weight, take your pick of indoor or outdoor tables.

Miss Cordelia's – A downtown grocery store with a deli counter, prepared food, free wifi and indoor and outdoor seating.

Double J Saloon and Smokehouse – A Western-themed smokehouse and barbecue joint in South Main. If you need a quiet place, check out the upstairs bar. As a bonus, they're open late.

Midtown / U of M Area

R.P. Tracks – College kids love R.P. Tracks. They've got a full bar, huge menu, fantastic nachos and a great wifi signal.

Republic Coffee – Republic is open until midnight every night, and they've got great coffee and a full menu. Occasionally, there's live music or readings from local authors.

Java Cabana – Cooper Young's coffee house is small, cozy, and pretty quiet during the day. They also take debit cards now.

Bella Cafe – The restaurant inside the Pink Palace is open the same hours as the museum and has full meals and free wifi.

The P&H Cafe – One of the best places in town to grab a pitcher and a patty melt while you work. Just don't pull out your laptop during trivia on Tuesday nights.

Otherlands – My personal favorite spot for getting work done. This Midtown coffee shop has a loyal crowd of regulars. If you want to get work done, but also want the option of conversation, Otherlands is a great.

Cafe Eclectic – I wouldn't go for the wifi during peak mealtimes (when servers are looking to turn tables), but it's great during the afternoon and late evening lulls. During the school year, it's usually packed with students from nearby Rhodes College.

The Edge Coffeehouse – The Edge has moved from its old location on Overton Park to a new place on Cooper (between Peabody and Central). They've got great hours – 6 a.m. until 1 a.m. everyday.

The Blue Monkey – A restaurant and bar near Overton Square. They're open for lunch, dinner, and late nights.

Caritas Village – Part coffee shop, part diner, part art gallery, part living room, Caritas is located in the basement of a church in Binghampton. They've got great cheap food, too.

Oasis Hookah Lounge – An alcohol-free hookah bar and coffee shop near the University of Memphis. They're open until 1 a.m. on weeknights and 3 a.m. on weekends.

–  Young Ave. Deli – The Young Avenue Deli has a huge beer selection, a big menu of deli favorites, pizzas and quesadillas, and a foosball table. Occasionally, they've got live music.

Wash World – If you want to know about the quality of the wireless at a laundromat, know that I wouldn't have been able to write this post (or have clean clothes) without it.

India Palace – An Indian restaurant in Midtown. In addition to Indian food, they've also got beers and a lunch buffet.

Tropical Smoothie Cafe – Get a giant smoothie and a healthy snack while you work. They're open seven days a week.

East Memphis (and the Burbs)

Poplar Perk'n – Memphis' most compact coffee shop isn't great for long periods of wireless use, but it's perfect for checking things on the go.

Booksellers at Laurelwood – A huge East Memphis bookstore with a great restaurant inside. Bronte Bistro serves breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Panera Bread – The two Memphis-area Panera Bread locations have free wifi. The one in East Memphis is just a few minutes away from the Memphis Botanic Gardens and Oak Court Mall. There's a second location at Trinity Commons in Cordova.

Flying Saucer – The Cordova location of the Flying Saucer has a full menu, a full bar, and an awesome patio. Ask your server for the password.

Whole Foods Poplar – Load up at the salad bar, grab a table, use the internet for free.

Cosmic Coconut – A vegan-friendly juice bar with fresh juices, smoothies and snacks. Try the Cuke Skywalker.

Chuck Hutton Toyota – If you have to wait while your car is serviced, Chuck Hutton's got the wifi.

Places with Wi-fi at All Locations

Yolo – Eat some frozen yogurt or gelato and get your work done at the same time. All three Yolos have free wireless. Be sure to tag whatever you post #yolo just to confuse people.

Fox and Hound – All of the Fox and Hound locations have Wireless. It's a bar, so it's open late and it's a good place to watch sports.

All Starbucks locations – Starbucks finally made their wireless service free a few months ago. There are dozens of locations for the coffee chain all over the city.

Memphis Visitor's Centers – All of the Memphis visitor information centers have internet access, which makes any last minute trip planning a little easier.

Memphis Public Libraries – They're cold, they're quiet, they've got tons of computers (and places to sit if you bring your own) and they're all over town.

Holiday Ham – All of Holiday Ham and Deli's Memphis locations have wifi. They're open seven days a week, and are located all over the city and suburbs.

This list is long, but it isn't complete. If you know of somewhere else that's got free wifi, leave it in the comments and I'll add it to the list.

Filed Under:

Comments

1. There is also a Panera in Germantown, at Poplar near Exeter – where Atlanta Bread used to be, across from Chili’s.

2. Amanda says:

Awesome post, Kerry! Thanks for putting together such a great list. Now to convince my boss to let me work outside this office. 🙂

3. Justin W says:

*Casablanca on Poplar near Mendenhall

*India Palace

4. Thanks for this Kerry. Great stuff!

5. As an update, ALL Memphis Public Library & Information Center locations have free WiFi.

Come check us out!

6. J.B. says:

Chick-fil-a also offers free wi-fi.

7. Kalisa says:

The Panera by Oak Court Mall will kick you off the wifi after a time (an hour, I think?) during peak hours. Which is kind of silly because when it did it to me, there were plenty of open tables around me, so it wasn’t like I was taking up space someone needed. The one in Cordova doesn’t do it, I don’t think. At least it never has to me.

8. Otto says:

Calhoun’s on South Main has free wireless. Ask Max or Michelle for the password.

9. Wes says:

I’m at The Bayou in Midtown using their free wifi right now…add it to the list!

10. Great list! Good to have on hand when I don’t want to be at home or in my studio working.

11. Scootette says:

Great post!
    Now, to get a laptop…

12. Katie says:

Dan McGuinness on Spottswood does as well 🙂

13. Becky Ann says:

Holiday Ham and Deli also has free wifi at all locations (East memphis@Erin Drive and Germantown).

14. Becky Ann says:

Ohhh I almost forgot —- Waffle House locations have free wifi also.

15. CLos says:

Tropical Smoothie Cafe on Union has free Wifi as well…

16. blasianFMA says:

Also, the Fedex Office in Midtown has free wireless, and you can print stuff there too.

17. Beth says:

More area churches should offer free wifi.

Also, SIMON malls have free wifi, but it’s dodgy.

18. webzgirl says:

Amerigo’s too!

19. chris hill says:

Sounds crazy, but the McDonalds on Poplar (near White Station) is my favorite and is actually a great window seat of the city going by with free wifi + TV news w/ closed captioning + free refills, even a jukebox if you forget your tunes. Watch the grease on the keyboard though!

20. I appreciate the listing, and if I had my way I would be 24/7, as I was in the ’90’s and for a few months here. I want this place full of every conceivable type of people every day and night, all the time. Unfortunately the inconsistency (which I myself loathe) of the economy, has caused me to have to “Roll With It” I have absolutely decided what I want our hours to be in 1997. I am doing the best I can in this economy, especially considering that the “MidTown Memphis” project also known as the “Washington bottoms project” collapsed along with the Real estate market and economy as I was building this CoffeeHouse down the street from it in 2008. Now that the Sears Tower is coming (hopefully) it should re-ignite the “MidTown Memphis” project with me right in the middle.

Thanks -fj- Frank James-The Edge
    Our Current hours are 5PM-1:AM 7 Nights a week.

21. MEMPHISH says:

add Oasis at Minglewood Hall to that list 🙂

22. Mark James says:

All McDonald's supposedly have free wifi, as do Dunkin Donuts and McCallister's.

23. Mark James says:

And the 2 Dunkin Donuts (at Hwy 64 at I-40 and at Kirby-Whitten and I-$)) bit have electrical outlets everwhere for laptops to plug in.

24. Colleen says:

Mulan Bistro in Collierville (random)!

25. Dave says:

Celtic Crossing in Cooper-Young has free WiFi.  I believe Molly Fontaine's does as well. The Flying Pig BBQ on Hack's Cross just north of Winchester has had free WiFi in the past, but last time I was in the WiFi was down and they didn't know how soon it would be fixed.  Methodist/LeBonheur hospitals have free WiFi for their patients and their visitors.  If I think of any others I'll bring it up.

26. Lauren says:

Urban Outfitters also has free wifi.

27. Dave says:

Wolfchase Nissan has free WiFi while you're waiting.

28. Allison says:

Amerigo Italian Restaurant at Park & Ridgeway

29. Julie says:

Old Zinnie's has it.

30. All 7 Huey's locations have free wifi. 🙂

31. Jake says:

Boscos in Midtown Also has it now.

32. Hannah says:

Also, the Madison Hotel and the adjacent awesome restaurant Eighty3 has free wi-fi! Ask hotel staff or your server or bartender for password.

33. Dave says:

Captain John's Pit BBQ in Collierville has free WiFi

34. elle says:

Thanks for this! #servicey

35. We are really inspired with your writing skills and as well with the data format within your blog site. Is the a paid out matter as well as did you adjust it on your own? No matter what stay up the exceptional good quality producing, it can be unheard of to view a great web site just like it nowadays.

36. Amanda K says:

Peabody hotel has free wifi in the restaurants and lobby. Just ask a server for the password.

37. ECS Sr says:

Great Information for the Tech community!!

38. susi says:

Home Depot

39. Gina Davis says:

I am trying to assemble an up to date WiFi list for a future blog.  I would love to reference this blog. I have used it several time in the past to find a spot.

Also would like to add Jason's Deli's at Poplar & Highland. The Germantown Pkwy & Ridgeway Jason's, to the best of my knowledge do not have Wifi.

Thanks, Gina

40. Tanisha says:

My brother suggested I might like this blog. He was totally right.
    This post truly made my day. You can not imagine just how much time I had spent
    for this info! Thanks!

41. Tracie says:

Einstein Bros Bagels, Bartlett & East Memphis, & McAllister’s.

42. Collin Barrett says:

This is a great article! I would love to see a refreshed version at some point. Maybe there would be a way you could crowdsource info. Info like wifi speeds and what times it is ok to camp out for a couple hours without feeling like a table hog are invaluable information. Thanks!

43. Heather says:

Thanks for the article! Agreed, an updated version of this would be AWESOME!

44. Richard says:

I am located in Toronto Ontario Canada and I am worried sick about my friend so if you could check out the link and share it I would greatly appreciate it.
    Thanks. Richard