Thursday News Update: Bernard Lansky, New Tigers, Free Cupcakes and So Much More
The weekend is so close, y’all. So, so close. Here’s a little bit of Memphis news to hold you over:
Photo of the Lost Bayou Ramblers playing at the Hi-Tone Cafe by @codyacoyotee. If you’d like to see your Instagram photos featured here, tag them #ilovememphis.
– First, some very sad news. Elvis’s favorite clothier, Bernard Lansky, the co-founder of Lansky Bros. clothing, has died at 87. If you’d like to pay your respects, there’s going to be a public memorial service tomorrow at 11 a.m. at Baron Hirsch Synagogue.
– In free cupcake news, Muddy’s Bakeshop posted a photo to Instagram yesterday that says that if you bring in a jar of peanut butter for the food bank, they’ll give you a free peanut butter chocolate cupcake.
– Congratulations to Markel Crawford, Kuran Iverson and RaShawn “Pookie” Powell – they all signed letters of intent to play basketball for the Tigers next year.
– Want to buy a food truck? One of my favorites, Revival, is still for sale. You can get the whole thing – truck, recipes and all – for $40,000.
– Thanksgiving is next week, and the Mid-South Food Bank is still in need of turkeys. If you’d like to donate to help hungry Memphians have a happy holiday, go here.
– Good job, Memphis – we were ranked #2 in TripAdvisor’s Destinations on the Rise awards (second only to Austin, Texas). We’ll get them next year for sure.
– “Apollo Love” is going on the air (it premieres on BET next week), and to celebrate, there’s going to be a special Apollo Live Lounge party at the Ice Bar in Memphis on Nov. 27. I’ve got four drink tickets for the free party. The first person to email me and tell me what their all-time favorite Apollo performace is gets them.
If you’ve got a tip or something you’d like to see featured on I Love Memphis, let me know. If you’d like to submit a story or photo series or anything of that sort, go here. If there’s an event you want to share, please submit it to the blog’s calendar.