Memphis Gets Two More Tiny Libraries

Posted by Holly Whitfield | November 19th 2012 1704 0

Good news, readers: Memphis has two more Little Free Libraries.

The birdhouse-sized libraries are completely community run – stop by and grab a book to read for free, or drop off books you've already read for someone else to enjoy.

There's this one on New York, just a little bit north of Young Ave. When I stopped by this afternoon, it was completely stuffed with books.

Cooper Young Little Free Library No. 2

There's also this one, parked outside of Crosstown Arts at 427 N. Watkins.

Crosstown Little Free Library

I'm pretty sure that, with the addition of the original one on Peabody, that brings the total of Little Free Libraries in Memphis to three. I hope I'm wrong, though; if you know of more, leave the locations in the comments.

Comments

1. That's awesome. I have a bag of books I was going to donate. Thanks for the heads up!

2. Brittany says:

The librarian at my school has one in front of her house. Not sure the name of her street but I know it's somewhere in midtown!

3. Shannon Langellier says:

Hi, I am the steward of a Little Free Library (#806) located in the East Buntyn neighborhood.  It is located on Midland Avenue between Reese & Prescott Streets.  This is actually in the "backyard" of St. James Anglican Church at 461 S. Prescott, but it is accessible from Midland.  There are now five Little Free Libraries in Memphis that are "officially" registered.  Besides the one in East Buntyn, there are: 2085 Peabody, 1628 Carr, 1319 Vinton, and 928 Harbor View.  You can find them by visiting the website, littlefreelibrary.org.

4. according to the locator map at the little free library web site http://www.littlefreelibrary.org/ there's also one on harbor view drive, one on vinton and one on s. prescott.

5. John says:

There is one on Central near Melrose.  Also one on the 1500 block of Carr.  There is another in Central Gardens, but I can't recall where.

6. Jarrod says:

Oh no! There's a tiny person trapped in the Cooper-Young one! She's trying to call for help, but she can't get a signal!

7. Joy Hoffman says:

There are at least 2 in harbortown. One on Harbor Ridge Lane South. Other- I'm not sure of address… but nearby.

8. Kat says:

According to CA article a few months ago, there is one in Harbor Town and *I thought* somewhere near U of M.