Friday News Update: Hearts and Minds and Trolling Edition
I thought about making a reference to Rebecca Black's "Friday", and then I thought better of it.
Today in Memphis, the Tigers win (our hearts), Penny shows off his shoes, Cochon returns, National Geographic loves us, and an Englishman may or may not be trolling the whole city. All of that and more, after this bit of holiday cheer:
Photo by @mmellow74 via Instagram. To see your photos here, tag them #ilovememphis on Instagram.
– First, the Tigers won big last night. Ok, so their opponent, UT Martin, isn't exactly good, but I'm happy to see them playing something that looks a little more like basketball than whatever they were doing over Thanksgiving weekend.
– Speaking of Tigers, here's a peek at Penny Hardaway's sneaker collection.
– Good job, us! Memphis was featured on National Geographic Travel's list of 20 must-see places in 2013.
– Last week, I posted an interview with Dr. Sarah Petschonek, a woman who was on a mission to volunteer for 30 different Memphis organizations in 30 days. Now, she's taking the show on the road and volunteering across the country for her new project, Volunteer Bound (which starts next week).
– Attention, foodies: Cochon Heritage Barbecue is coming back to Memphis next Labor Day weekend.
– If you're a Memphis resident who's hoping to own your own home, there's a special homebuyer's workshop going on downtown today and tomorrow.
– And lastly, here's the (confusing) story of a British guy eating (what he thinks is) Memphis barbecue in Texas. The story is funny, but I'm still not convinced that he isn't trying to troll the whole city of Memphis/
If you've got a tip for I Love Memphis, send me an email. If you'd like to submit a story, photo gallery, video or something else for the blog, do that here. If you've got an event coming up, add it to the calendar, and if you're not already, follow ILM on Facebook and/or Twitter.