Wednesday News Update: Halloween Parties, Grizzlies, Cute Pups and More
Today in Memphis, it's the most wonderful time of the year: the start of basketball season. Also, there are Halloween parties, a winter market, cute pups and ways to contribute to Hurricane Sandy relief.
Photo of one of the alleys off of Main Street by @nictheeditor via Instagram. Tag your Instagram photos #ilovememphis if you'd like to see them featured here.
– Happy Halloween! If you're trick or treating tonight, the weather is going to be chilly, but otherwise perfect. If you're in search of a party, there are three big ones happening downtown. Also, there's still time to check out some of these Halloween events.
– Tonight's not just Halloween – it's the first Grizzlies game. They're playing the Clippers (sigh) in L.A. at 9:30 p.m.
– I didn't know the history of this midtown bus stop when I saw that it had been reduced to in a little timber pile on the side of Poplar by some Memphis road warrior, but now I'm a little sad.
– Need cheap studio space? Caritas Village has three secure studios for rent, $250 per month. Contact Onie for details: (901) 327-5246.
– Most of the farmers markets have closed for the season, but the Cooper-Young Community Farmers market is forever. The market in the First Congo parking lot will stay open all winter with vendors selling produce, meat, breads, eggs and more.
– The Humane Society's ad campaign for Pit Bull Awareness month is the cutest thing I've seen this morning.
– The only thing that would end 58 years of the Rendezvous offering Michelob on tap is the end of draft Michelob.
– Lastly, if you'd like to help our friends to the north east with their Hurricane Sandy recovery, Gothamist has a list of organizations (mostly based in New York) that could use your funds or time if you're in the area.