Today in Memphis, we make (and don't make) more city rankings lists, Weezy beats Elvis and there are dogs in costumes on parade. Also, basketball season is so, so close.
Photo of Memphis, as seen at the Benjamin L. Hooks Central Library by @jessiemwalker via Instagram. If you'd like to see your photos on a news update, tag them #ilovememphis on Instagram.
- Firstly: there's still time to submit your stories, ideas, photos (and we would love more photos), music or whatever to our first ever theme month.
- In city list news, Cooper-Young was named as one of the American Planning Association's 10 Great Neighborhoods in the U.S. Meanwhile, in Bloomberg Businessweek, we're curiously absent from the America's 50 Best Cities list.
- Basketball season is so close, I can almost hear the faint strains of "Knuck if You Buck" in the distance. The Grizzlies have started training, Memphis Madness is next week, there's an ESPN article about how the Tigers are stealth awesome, and our beloved CDR has signed with the Lakers. Ahh, basketball season. The most wonderful time of the year.
- Congrats to I Like Big Burgers and I Cannot Lie. They're the winners of the first annual Best Memphis Burger Contest. See the full list of winners here.
- Moonpie coffee is a thing that exists. (Sidenote: I didn't know that Moonpies were made in Tennessee.)
- This fall's Broad Avenue Art walk (Oct. 20) will include the greatest thing ever: a parade of dogs in costumes.
- Excuse his charisma: last week, Lil Wayne beat Elvis to become the male with the most entries on the Billboard Hot 100 chart.
- The City of Memphis' recycling program is expanding to include all coded plastics and do away with the whole separating paper and plastic in your bin thing.