Today in Memphis, put on your hoodie, talk like a pirate, eat at the recently re-opened Bon Ton Cafe and get ambushed by opera singers.
- Yesterday, the University of Memphis honored its first African American students (aka, the Memphis State Eight) with an on-campus marker. The Eight enrolled at Memphis State in 1959.
- Huh. FedEx's Fred Smith isn't the highest paid executive in Memphis.
- After a four-year closure, the Bon Ton Cafe on Monroe is reopening today for breakfast and lunch.
- Opera singers have taken over the city (at least, for the next 27-ish days). Opera Memphis is staging 30 days of free performances all over town. Here's where to find the performances, if you aren't the sort that likes operatic surprises.
- Lastly, I'm still accepting submissions for I Love Memphis' first-ever theme month. The theme is Memphis Firsts. Find out more about what kinds of pieces I'm looking for and how to submit them here.