Today in Memphis, there's grocery store news (good and bad), downtown exhibition space for artists, and a new place to shop. Also, we welcome a man named Pookie to the team. Find out about all of that and more, in your Monday Memphis news update:
- First, two bits of grocery store news, some possibly good, the other definitely bad. The possibly good news is that the Kroger on Union (aka, The Store Formerly Known as Midtown Schnucks) has purchased the apartment building next to the store, which could be a clue that Midtown is finally getting a decent grocery store. The definitely bad news is that the downtown Easy Way is closing at the end of the month.
- The Tigers' newest recruit is four-star point guard from Florida. His name, ladies and gentlemen, is Pookie.
- Remember Unveil Downtown? It's happening again, only this time, in the South Main Arts District. Twenty artists will be chosen to exhibit in 20 spaces between Nov. 30 and Dec. 19. Artists can apply for space here.
- The most hilarious thing about this Onion story is that it mentions "wheat fields outside Memphis". Fake news is fake, y'all.
- Hey, ladies – you've got a new shopping option at Saddle Creek. Free People opened their first Memphis store next to Anthropologie last week.
- R. Kelly is coming to Memphis, and I'm completely, unironically excited. Don't judge me.