For those who need an excuse to visit (or revisit) some local attractions, here’s a good one: September 15th is Memphis' annual Downtown Museum Day, a magical day when admission fees to some of Memphis’ most awesome attractions are reduced or waived entirely.
Here's a list of this year's participating museums and what they're offering in the way of discounts:
- Belz Museum of Asian and Judaic Art: Half price general admission (regularly $6 for adults and $4 for kids), plus screenings of the film "Confucius" and 10 percent off everything in the gift shop.
- Center for Southern Folklore: Free admission to the center. Also, there's a special exhibit called “50 Years with Elvis,” which is a retrospective of art created in honor of the king by artist Betty Harper.
- Elmwood Cemetery: Free self-guided audio tours of Memphis' most respected resting place from 8 a.m. until noon.
- Fire Museum of Memphis: Buy-one, get-one-free admission all day.
- Jimmy Ogle Walking Tours: Historian Jimmy Ogle is giving three free tours of downtown:
10:00a.m. Union Avenue Manhole Cover & History Tour (begin at the Cotton Museum)
11:00a.m. Court Square & Surroundings (begin at Court Square)
12:00p.m. Mississippi River (begin at Confederate Park)
- Memphis Railroad and Trolley Museum: Half-price admission all day long.
- Memphis Rock 'n' Soul Museum: Buy-one, get-one-free admission.
- Mississippi River Museum at Mud Island River Park: Buy-one, get-one-free admussion to the Mud Island River Museum. They'll also have free hour-long guided tours of the Riverwalk model at 11:30 a.m., 1:30 p.m. and 3:30 p.m.
- National Ornamental Metal Museum: Free admission to the museum all day, plus blacksmithing demonstrations (2:30 and 3 p.m.) and a special exhbit of work by master metalsmithEleanor Moty.
- Slave Haven Underground Railroad Museum: Buy-one, get-one-free admission, plus an artists market and live music.
- Stax Museum of American Soul Music: buy-one, get-one-free admission to the museum. Be sure to check out "Wattstax The Living Word: Special 40th Anniversary Exhibit" while you're there.
- Sun Studio: Free admission and tours all day.
- W.C Handy Museum: buy-one, get-one-free admission.
- Woodruff-Fontaine House: Admission and tours are buy-one, get-one-half-price, and you'll get to see the house decked out for mourning 1878-style.