There are some cities where it's nearly impossible to dine out while broke, but Memphis is not one of those cities. Here's the official I Love Memphis guide to eating on the cheap.
This list is a work in progress, so if you know of a special, all-you-can-eat night or some other cheap food (think less than $10), leave it in the comments and I'll add it to the list.
- Thai Bistro (Cordova and downtown): Appetizer and entree less than $10, Monday – Friday, 11 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
- Pearl's Oyster House (299 S. Main): All specials are $8 or less, Monday – Friday, 11 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- T.J. Mulligans (all locations): Your choice of daily lunch special for $7.95, or half of a hotdog with two topings, $6.95.
- Elliott's (16 S 2nd): All sandwiches and wraps are less than $10, and many are less than $5.
- Bleu (221 South 3rd): The daily chef's lunch special is $11, which includes tax and iced tea.
- Pho Hoa Binh (1615 Madison): all-you-can-eat lunch buffet for $5.79.
- Bosco's (2120 Madison): $8 express lunch, item changes daily.
- Little Italy Pizza (1495 Union): All New York-style slices are less than $3.
- Jasmine (916 S Cooper): Lunch entrees with an egg roll, dumpling and soup, less than $9.
- India Palace (1720 Poplar): All-you-can-eat lunch buffet, $8.95 for adults, $4.95 for kids.
- Fino's (1853 Madison): Fino's has a box lunch speical that's $7.50 for a cold sandwich, pasta salad, chips and cookies.
- Celtic Crossing (903 S. Cooper): Daily lunch specials, $5.95 each.
- Coletta's (1063 S. Parkway): Get a 6" pizza, lasagna or spaghetti plus salad and a drink for $7, Monday – Friday until 4 p.m.
- Grove Grill (4550 Poplar): A different $9 lunch special every Monday – Friday.
- Dan McGuinness (4698 Spottswood): Your choice of one of three daily lunch specials for $6.95, Monday – Friday, 10:30 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Ryu (5137 Summer): Hibachi with your choice of meat for $10 or less, or two or three roll sushi combos for $14 or less.
- Mama Mia's (255 New Byhalia): two one-topping slice and a salad or breadsticks and a drink, $6.99. Or, just get a one-topping slice or $2.79.
- Eat Well Sushi (2965 N Germantown Road #102): Eat Well is a little pricey at dinner, but during lunch, their buffet is more or less the same for half the price – $10.68 for adults.
- Dino's Grill (645 N. McLean): All-you-can-eat spaghetti, $7.50, Thursdays, 5:30 p.m. – 9 p.m.
- Hi-Tone Cafe (1913 Poplar Ave.): All-you-can-eat wing night, Mondays, 5 p.m. – 9 p.m. (wash it down with a $1 PBR draft).
- Buccaneer (1368 Monroe): All-you-can-eat wings on Wednesday nights, $8.
- Chow Time (all locations): Memphis' most mind blowing soul food / Chinese buffet is $7.19 at lunch and $9.49 at dinner for adults.
- Trolley Stop Market (704 Madison): Different specials every weekenight. Tuesday is taco night.
- B.B. Kings (143 Beale): $1 per rib bone from 2 p.m. – 5 p.m. every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.
- Papa Pia's (83 Union): Half price pizzas every Wednesday night.
- Dan McGuinness (4698 Spottswood): Fish and chips, $5.95, every Thursday, all day long.
- Patrick's (4972 Park): Patrick's has special lunch and dinner menu items that change every Wednesday.
- Spaghetti Warehouse (40 Huling): Score a bowl of spaghetti with your choice of sauce plus salad and breadsticks for $5.
- R.P. Tracks (3547 Walker): One special menu item every day of the week. Tuesday is Philly day!
- Celtic Crossing (903 S. Cooper): Two-for-one Fish and Chips on Tuesdays means that you can feed two people for $11.50.
- Onix (412 Main St.): Tuesday is two-for-one wing night.
Cheap, All the Time
- Earnestine and Hazel's (531 S. Main): Soul Burgers are always $6.
- Lee's Fresh Sushi (6646 Poplar): Sushi rolls are always less than $10 at Gas Station Sushi.
- Memphis Pizza Cafe (all locations): Half sandwich and half dinner salad, $6, all the time.
- Jim's Place (518 Perkins Extended): The food menu at the bar during happy hour has four options that are all $7.50 or less.
- Caritas Village (2509 Harvard Ave.): Caritas is a non-profit community space that serves simple, delicious lunches and dinner every day. Plus, it's a non-profit, so there's no tax.
Have I left your favorite special off the list? Leave it in the comments and I'll add it.