Poor and Hungry: The Ultimate Guide to Eating Cheap in Memphis
UPDATE: If you’re looking for the updated, 2017 version of this post, just click here.
There are some cities where it’s nearly impossible to dine out while broke, but Memphis is not one of those cities. Here’s the official I Love Memphis guide to eating on the cheap.
This list is a work in progress, so if you know of a special, all-you-can-eat night or some other cheap food (think less than $10), leave it in the comments and I’ll add it to the list.
– Thai Bistro (closed)
– Pearl’s Oyster House (299 S. Main): All specials are $8 or less, Monday – Friday, 11 a.m. – 2 p.m.
– T.J. Mulligans (all locations): Your choice of daily lunch special for $7.95, or half of a hotdog with two topings, $6.95.
– Elliott’s (16 S 2nd): All sandwiches and wraps are less than $10, and many are less than $5.
– Bleu (221 South 3rd): The daily chef’s lunch special is $11, which includes tax and iced tea.
– Pho Hoa Binh (1615 Madison): all-you-can-eat lunch buffet for $5.79.
– Bosco’s (2120 Madison): $8 express lunch, item changes daily.
– Little Italy Pizza (1495 Union): All New York-style slices are less than $3.
– Jasmine (916 S Cooper): Lunch entrees with an egg roll, dumpling and soup, less than $9.
– India Palace (1720 Poplar): All-you-can-eat lunch buffet, $8.95 for adults, $4.95 for kids.
– Fino’s (1853 Madison): Fino’s has a box lunch speical that’s $7.50 for a cold sandwich, pasta salad, chips and cookies.
– Celtic Crossing (903 S. Cooper): Daily lunch specials, $5.95 each.
– Coletta’s (1063 S. Parkway): Get a 6″ pizza, lasagna or spaghetti plus salad and a drink for $7, Monday – Friday until 4 p.m.
– Grove Grill (4550 Poplar): A different $9 lunch special every Monday – Friday.
– Dan McGuinness (4698 Spottswood): Your choice of one of three daily lunch specials for $6.95, Monday – Friday, 10:30 a.m. – 4 p.m.
– Ryu (5137 Summer): Hibachi with your choice of meat for $10 or less, or two or three roll sushi combos for $14 or less.
– Mama Mia’s (255 New Byhalia): two one-topping slice and a salad or breadsticks and a drink, $6.99. Or, just get a one-topping slice or $2.79.
– Eat Well Sushi (closed)
– Dino’s Grill (645 N. McLean): All-you-can-eat spaghetti, $7.50, Thursdays, 5:30 p.m. – 9 p.m.
– Hi-Tone Cafe (1913 Poplar Ave.): All-you-can-eat wing night, Mondays, 5 p.m. – 9 p.m. (wash it down with a $1 PBR draft).
– Buccaneer (1368 Monroe): All-you-can-eat wings on Wednesday nights, $8.
– Chow Time (all locations): Memphis’ most mind blowing soul food / Chinese buffet is $7.19 at lunch and $9.49 at dinner for adults.
– Trolley Stop Market (704 Madison): Different specials every weekenight. Tuesday is taco night.
– B.B. Kings (143 Beale): $1 per rib bone from 2 p.m. – 5 p.m. every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.
– Papa Pia’s (83 Union): Half price pizzas every Wednesday night.
– Dan McGuinness (4698 Spottswood): Fish and chips, $5.95, every Thursday, all day long.
– Patrick’s (4972 Park): Patrick’s has special lunch and dinner menu items that change every Wednesday.
– Spaghetti Warehouse (40 Huling): Score a bowl of spaghetti with your choice of sauce plus salad and breadsticks for $5.
– R.P. Tracks (3547 Walker): One special menu item every day of the week. Tuesday is Philly day!
– Celtic Crossing (903 S. Cooper): Two-for-one Fish and Chips on Tuesdays means that you can feed two people for $11.50.
– Onix (412 Main St.): Tuesday is two-for-one wing night.
Cheap, All the Time
– Earnestine and Hazel’s (531 S. Main): Soul Burgers are always $6.
– Lee’s Fresh Sushi (6646 Poplar): Sushi rolls are always less than $10 at Gas Station Sushi.
– Memphis Pizza Cafe (all locations): Half sandwich and half dinner salad, $6, all the time.
– Jim’s Place (518 Perkins Extended): The food menu at the bar during happy hour has four options that are all $7.50 or less.
– Caritas Village (2509 Harvard Ave.): Caritas is a non-profit community space that serves simple, delicious lunches and dinner every day. Plus, it’s a non-profit, so there’s no tax.
Have I left your favorite special off the list? Leave it in the comments and I’ll add it.