Today in Memphis, we've got two big, quick downtown events. Also, Delish.com makes an egregious omission, a beer company tries to trademark MEM and there's a list of the prettiest public schools in Memphis. There's all of that and way more in the Wednesday news update.
But first, check out this cute little street bot at Front and Union:
- If you're not doing anything around 3:30 this afternoon, the Flaming Lips are starting their attempt to break the world record for most concerts in 24 hours at Handy Park. And it's still not sold out.
- First lady Michelle Obama will be in Memphis tomorrow for a fundraiser at the Cannon Center. If you're headed downtown, expect traffic and road closures and plan accordingly.
- Can you spot the egregious omission on Delish.com's list of the best barbecue festivals in the country?
- If you think all public buildings are boring, city planner Josh Whitehead's list of Memphis' archiecturally impressive schools will change your mind.
- Remember the original kid that used to play the Little Caesar's pizza sign like an air guitar at the corner of Park and Mendenhall? The one that started the whole sign-as-guitar thing? I'm trying to find him for an interview. I have his name, but haven't been able to get any contact info for him. Can you help me out?
- Here's a peek at the National Civil Rights Museum's upcoming $27 million redesign.