Today in Memphis, we've got a surprise Chappelle show, a Civil War anniversary and a search for civil rights memorabilia. Also, the Tigers have a new basketball walk on (and football quarterback).
But first, these words of wisdom:
"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard, grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
- Here's some big, short notice news: Dave Chappelle is coming to the Orpheum on Tuesday, June 12 at 7 p.m. Tickets for the show cost $50 went on sale today at 10 a.m.
- The 150th anniversary of the naval Battle of Memphis (our somewhat uneventful peice of Civil War battle history) is this year, and there's going to be a reenactment on Mud Island over the weekend. Also, I found a gallery of Civil War era photos from the Mid-South for you.
- If you're headed to the roller derby this weekend, you'll be excited to know that Uncle Lou's Fried Chicken is the league's new food vendor. (As a skater, I'm definitely pumped about this.)
- I know basketball season is a long way away, but the Tigers are adding Olive Branch's Sam Craft as a walk on for next season. He's also going to play quarterback for the football team.
- The National Civil Rights Museum is expanding, and they're on a nationwide search for memorabilia related to the United States' black culture.
- Finally, there's a search out to find someone that hit a pedestrian with a car downtown. Paul's got the details.
As always, if you've got a tip for me, or if you know about something going on in Memphis that's worthy of a feature on I Love Memphis, please let me know.