If you’re not exactly American Idol material, there are a few safe places to pretend like you are: your car, your shower, and, if you crave an audience, karaoke night. Assignment #157 in the 365 Things to Do in Memphis is to sing karaoke.
Just promise me you won't sing "Walking in Memphis", ok?
Here are a few places around town to rock the mic:
1. The Windjammer (786 E Brookhaven Cir.): The Windjammer is Memphis' great karaoke melting pot. Every night is karaoke night, but it's most fun on the weekends when it's packed with birthday parties, cougars and college kids.
2. The Cove (2559 Broad Ave) – On Wednesday nights during the summer, Booty Sweat Karaoke throws down at the Cove. Gross name, great song book and cocktails.
3. The P&H (1532 Madison Ave), Friday nights: One night at P&H karaoke, I watched a man place a bottle of Maker’s Mark on a chair and serenade it with David Bowie’s “Space Oddity”. If you're shy, don't worry – P&H karaoke has a habit of turning into a bar-wide sing-a-long.
4. Superior Bar (159 Beale St) Sundays – Thursdays: Every weeknight is karaoke night at Superior on Beale. There’s no cover, and an impressive roster of locals and tourists on the mic.
5. Murphy's (1589 Madison Ave.), occasional Friday and Saturday nights: Murphy's doesn't have karaoke every Friday night, but when they do, it's a pretty great time. Usually, the nights have themes, so come prepared.