Today in Memphis, Rory McIlroy commits to the FedEx St. Jude Classic, two artists go pen-to-pen in Court Square and there's finally a way to claim your bricks from the Pyramid.
But first, check out the new mural that's being installed on the side of Discount Gas at Poplar and Tucker:
- The FedEx St. Jude Classic just got a little more impressive: Golfer Rory McIlroy (who's been ranked first or second in the world for the past few months) has committed to play in the tournament next week.
- If there was a brick in front of the Pyramid with your name on it, you can claim it at the Pyramid on Friday from 3:30 to 6:30 p.m. and on Saturday from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. (provided you can prove that you bought it). All of the unclaimed bricks will be reunited with Ramses at the U of M.
- Yesterday was the 15th anniversary of Jeff Buckley's death. He drowned in the Wolf River Harbor while he was in Memphis, recording with his band.
- That stretch of Madison that's been closed forever is going to reopen this fall.
- Sad news for those of you who love fancy handmade bath treats – according to their Facebook page, the Lush at Oak Court Mall has closed. I've heard rumors that they're planning to reopen somewhere else in Memphis later this year, but nothing official yet.
- Just in case you were wondering, this Cory Branan song has been stuck in my head for days.
- Finally, if you're going to be downtown for lunch today, swing by Court Square for Live From Memphis' Ink Off. Artists Shane McDermott and Justin Wheeler will create a giant mural between 11:45 a.m. and 1 p.m.
As always, if there's something you'd like to see featured on I Love Memphis, submit a tip.