Today in Memphis, the Grizzlies are hosting the Lob City Floppers tonight, food trucks are parking in Court Square tomorrow, the MTV O Awards are coming to Memphis and the best missed connection ad from the Store Formerly Known as Midtown Schnucks.
But first, take a look at the new bike part disco ball that was designed by sculptor Eli Gold. It lives outside of Crosstown Arts on Watkins (in Midtown):
- Tonight's the night, y'all. The Grizzlies return home to play the Clippers in game five of their playoff series. I think Calkins put it best: "So if the Grizzlies say they are grinders, let them get back to their grinding. If they call it the Grindhouse, let them be brutal hosts. And let the fans with their towels do their part."
I'm still believing, and I hope you are, too.
- Speaking of believing, here are the winners of the Grizzlies Show Your Colors contest: The first place winners, who will each receive a big bag of team swag: Baby Eleanor, Ben and his custom shoes, and Nathan's mantle decorations. In second place, each receiving a t-shirt from Hoop City Memphis: Jay griding in the garden and Todd's bobblehead collection.
- Memphis was chosen to host a concert as part of the MTV O Awards attempt to beat the record for most concerts in a 24 hour period. It'll be on June 27th, and the artists haven't been announced yet.
- This is one of the saddest / most hopeful missed connections ads I've ever seen (and of course it happened at the Store Formerly Known as Midtown Schnucks).
- Downtown is turning into an art gallery from June 1 – 20. Here are the 20 artists that will be on display for 20 days.
- If you're downtown for lunch tomorrow, check out the second annual Memphis Food Truck Fare in Court Square. Ten trucks will be serving lunch from 11 a.m. – 2 p.m.