Girl, it's Wednesday, and you know what that means: it's news update time.
Here's what you need to know about redevelopments at the Chisca and Overton Square, bike sharing programs, the St. Jude half marathon and making your own barbecue sauce at home:
- One of the things that's impressed me most about Minneapolis is that they've got these sweet rental bikes that you swipe a credit card to unlock, then ride and drop off at another rental location. They're cheap, they're widely used, and they would be a great addition to Memphis. The good news is that there's a meeting on Tuesday to talk about the possiblity of implementing a bike sharing program in Memphis.
- In development news, the city council voted to give initial funding approval to the redevelopment of the Hotel Chisca on S. Main Street, and Loeb has announced more of their plans for Overton Square.
- If you were planning to run the St. Jude Half Marathon in December, but haven't registered yet, you might want to go ahead and train for the whole thing (or become a St. Jude Hero) – this year's half marathon sold out in record time.
- Even if you're not on a barbeuce fest cooking team, here's how to make Memphis-style barbecue sauce at home.
- Also, it's about time you came back to Memphis. To encourage you, my office (the Visitor's Bureau) is giving away a dream vacation (including hotel stay, tickets to Redbirds, the Zoo, Riverboats and the Brooks, dinner and gas money). Enter to win here.
- As always, if you've ever got anything you'd like to see in this space – a news blurb, a new restaurant, a favorite place, whatever – all you have to do is let me know about it.