Mark your calendars – Mother's Day is on Sunday, May 13th. If you're at a loss for what to do with the mothers in your life, here are some mom-approved special events and places to shop for gifts.
Take her to one of these special events:
The city's most notable cemetery is hosting a special Mothers Day tea (with delicious tiny desserts and finger sandwiches) and tour of the grounds that will focus on the Victorian symbolism in the cemetery.
Take your mom to brunch in the Japanese garden at the Memphis Botanic Gardens. The lunch will be catered by Just Catering and there will be live music from the Memphis Jazz Orchestra. Tickets for adults are $40 and kids under 12 are $10. Reservations are required, call (901) 636-4131.
If you're looking for something a little more special than the usual brunch, take your mom to high tea at Chez Philippe. The tea includes two kinds of tea, finger sandwiches, miniature desserts and scones. White gloves are optional.
The brunch at the Summit is going to have the best view of any Mothers Day brunch in Memphis. The brunch is a buffet and there will be live music from Joe Restivo, Tom Lonardo and Sam Schuppe. For reservations, call (901) 881-9927.
Take your mom to brunch at the Brushmark, then take her on a tour (self guided or with a headset) of the exhibits Brooks Museum of art. Or, if it's nice out, take her for a walk in Overton Park.
If you're in need of a mom-appropriate gift, try these local shops:
- Spruce (5040 Sanderlin Ave #103) - This tiny, charming interior design shop that also carries vintage and new jewelry, accessories and candles.
- Maggie's Pharm (13 Florence Street) – Maggie's has all kinds of mom-appropriate cards, candles, jounrals, jewelry, bath and body products and locally-roasted coffee.
- Rachel's Flowers (2486 Poplar Avenue) – Rachel's carries cut flowers (so you can build your own bouquet), bouquets and lawn and garden items. For those of you that don't have much cash to spend, go on Saturday afternoon between 4 p.m. and 5 p.m., when all of the cut flowers are half price.
- Toad Hall Antiques (2129 Central Ave.) – Toad Hall is one of my favorite mom-approved Memphis antique shops. They've got new and vintage jewelry, housewares, linens and decor items, and the prices are very reasonable.
- Booksellers at Laurelwood (387 Perkins Extd.) - Rather than just pick out a gift or a book or some Orpheum tickets for your mom, take her to brunch at the Booksellers Bistro and then let her pick out something for herself.
- Plant a tree in her honor at Shelby Farms as part of their 1 Million Trees program.
If you're feeling splurgy:
- Book a room for your mom at the Peabody Hotel, the Madison or River Inn. Send a bottle of champagne and some locally made chocolates (or cupcakes) to the room. Maybe book her a massage at Gould's. Then, leave her alone and let her sleep in.
If you've got any other ideas (or, better yet, if you're a mom who knows what she wants), leave them in the comments.