365 Things to Do in Memphis, Day 6: Get the Correct Time and Temperature

Posted by Holly Whitfield | January 6th 2012 706 45

You can do today’s assignment without leaving your house (though, once you do it, you may want to). Break out your phone – you’re calling JamJam1.

Jam Jam 1

Sure, we’ve all got watches and access to the weather.com these days, but back in the day, Memphians relied on an anonymous automated voice to give us the time, date and temperature.

I called this afternoon, and while the sponsor message no longer lets us know that it’s “Capt. D’s Time” (no matter what time it actually is), the service is still available.

Here’s why you should call JamJam1 today: if you do, you’ll find out that the current temperature in Memphis on January 6th is 67 degrees.

Go There:

Call (901) 526-5261

Comments

1. Desiree Frederick says:

Kerry!!! Hope things are going well for you!  I love the blog!   I'm at work at the moment working with our middle school kids to start our blog that we are doing for the Boys & Girls Club!  So far we have checked out Ballbearings (of course), Trents blog from Africa and now yours!  They love it and are stealing some ideas from you.  So far they have decided they want to do 365 things to do at the club and Reasons to love the Boys & Girls Club!   Please let me know if you are ever back in the Indiana area I would love for you to stop in and talk to the kids about blogging and it would be even better if we could have a dance party  in the classroom in true Ball Bearings style!

2. critter42 says:

Forget "Cap'n Ds Time". For many, many of us it JAMJAM1 is "Shoney's South Time" 🙂

3. leno says:

Wow, never realized it spelled JAMJAM1, we always referred to it as 'calling Time' or just 526 – 526 – 1

4. Emily says:

I remember being in about sixth grade and calling JAMJAM1 and pretending I was calling my boyfriend. Haha.

5. Ali says:

Ah, THAT'S what that thing was called! My mother used to call it when she would come to wake me up in the mornings for school! I'd completely forgotten about it til now! Bringing back a lot of memories – GREAT post! Now that I go to college in Miami I've forgotten a lot of things about Memphis that I loved.

6. Sheldon Dan says:

I’m one of the oldsters who remembered when JAM-JAM-1 was sponsored by First National Bank (now First Tennessee Bank). I also am old enough to remember when phone numbers were two letters and five digits (some time before someone discovered the use of letters to make phone numbers easy to remember)!

7. Sheldon Dan says:

I am old enough to remember when JAM-JAM-1 was sponsored by First National Bank (now First Tennessee Bank). I am also old enough to remember when phone numbers were two letters and five digits (well before someone found that people could remember phone numbers easier with letters)!