Found: The Summer Ave. Taco Wagon

Posted by Holly Whitfield | November 3rd 2011 793 0

Last night, I was driving down Summer Ave. after eating a huge hibachi dinner from Nagasaki when I saw a bright pink sign that said "Tacos!"

Taco Wagon!

I love tacos, but I didn't think much about the sign because I'd already eaten. I was going to keep driving, but then I saw exactly what the sign was advertising: a taco wagon. A taco wagon that was parked right there at the corner of Summer and Perkins, open for business. I may or may not have squealed loudly with delight.

So, I stopped and got some tacos for dessert.

Taco Wagon, Summer and Perkins, Memphis, Tenn.

There weren't many menu options – just two kinds of tacos and some drinks. I got an asada taco with cilantro and onions ($1.75) and topped it with some of the spicy avocado sauce that was sitting on the truck's ledge. There were also had sliced radishes and some kind of extra hot-looking red sauce.

Asada Taco from the Summer Ave. Taco Wagon, Memphis, Tenn.

I'm not sure how often this mysterious taco wagon is out, but if you see it, stop. There's not really anywhere to sit and eat, but it looked like the guy who runs the truck had brought out a few lawn chairs. They don't take cards, but if there was ever a reason to keep an emergency $5 bill in your glove box, this is it.

Comments

1. Zinnia says:

I have to find them! SOON

2. So I am really interested to know how they did it! I recently opened a concession trailer for bbq and catfish, and cannot seem to get the information I need in order to find a place to park. I have my business licence, my health department permit, etc.
    I wonder if they would offer any advise : )

3. Ryan says:

I see it quite often, as I have to go to the Lowe's right behind there pretty regularly. It's there at least a few times each week. Seems like I normally see it in the evening.

4. Mary says:

They are there pretty much all the time, particularly on the weekends in the old Ike's parking lot. It is awesome!!

5. Price says:

I hope they get a twitter account soon.  Looking forward to finding them.

6. Heather says:

These are NOT your Taco Bell Tacos!  These are traditional on homemede tortillas.  We live just around the corner and it has become a regular treat for us. Well worth the stop!

7. I LOVE it!!!!!! Can't wait to get back to Memphis this weekend and try them out! Great job, Kerry!

8. Zippy says:

Cool. The owner lives on my street. Wondering where he was setting up.

9. Virginia says:

That looks AMAZING! I hope we find this elusive truck, glad to be aware of it now!

10. iAmBaronVonTito says:

i am really glad the city is finally jumping on the wagon (pun not intended…or maybe it was) with food trucks given that Memphis is considered- let's face it- a 'food city'.  I go bananas for Memphis grub, especially taco trucks late into the evening hours.

11. richard says:

i went looking for it today and couldnt find it. Looked on Summer from Perkins to White Station. has anyone seen this truck lately?