Occasionally, you need a little you time to relax, unwind and take some extra special care of yourself. Here are eight ways to pamper yourself in Memphis:
1. Lunch and learn at Mona Spa and Laser Center. Mona Spa is a great place to get a facial, wrap or laser treatment, but every so often, they host Lunch and Learns which feature a specialist giving an informal talk and demonstration of a new procedure or product while attendees eat a special bento box lunch prepared by Napa Cafe in the spa’s relaxation room.
2. Go on an island retreat at Gould’s Salon and Day Spa. The spa offers a 4 hour-long “Paradise Island Retreat” that’s just like the beach (but with less sand). It includes a Pure Fiji wrap, a massage, a mani-pedi and a light lunch.
3. Get a new ‘do at Empire Hair Studio. The funky Midtown salon / art gallery is a great place to go when you’re ready to experiment with your hair. Want a rock’n'roll dye job? They do that. Need to get waxed? They do that, too. They also do keratin treatments, haircuts, styling and make-up in their huge, industrial-chic space.
4. Get a mani-pedi at Nail Bar on the Island. The airy, full-service Harbortown nail salon has a huge selection of polish colors, plush pedicure recliners, and inexpensive quickie manicures for people short on time.
5. Relax on the massage table at Living Health. They have a staff of licensed massage therapists who specialize in Swedish massgae, deep tissue / sports massage, pre-natal massage, reflexology and aromatherapy. They also may be the only spa in Memphis that offers hypnotherapy treatments.
6. Have a close shave at AJW. The men’s salon offers straight razor shaves, shoe shines, haircuts and facials. They’ve also got a boutique full of ties, accessories and bespoke shirts and suits for guys who want to wear something completely unique.
7. Get needled at Midtown Acupuncture. Acupuncture involves placing tiny, sterile needles in strategic locations on your body to release the body’s “Qi” (or energy). While the midtown studio focuses on acupuncture, they’re happy to work out a needle-free alternative (like acupressure) for needle-phobes.
8. Have a DIY spa night at home with treats from Zoe or Bubble Bistro. First, start with a bath with Bubble Bistro’s homemade bubbles, scrubs and soaps. Then, give yourself a make over with fancy makeup from Zoe.