Prediction: Paletas from La Michoacana are the New Fro-Yo

Posted by Holly Whitfield | March 21st 2011 385 0

It’s insanely pleasant outside, which means it’s the perfect time for porches, spring beers and Mexican popsicles.

Specifically, paletas from La Michoacana, a new-ish paleteria and ice cream shop on Summer Ave.

At the front of the store, there’s a freezer case stacked with unlabeled paletas of varying colors. Some are neon bright, some have chunks of fruit, some look smooth and creamy. At the opposite end of the counter is another freezer, this one filled with giant tubs of homemade ice cream. None of the ice cream flavors were labeled, but when we started asking questions, the friendly counter guy started handing us spoons loaded down with free samples.

Pineapple Cheese ice cream from La Michoacana

Pineapple Cheese ice cream from La Michoacana

The ice cream is high quality – dense and milky – and the flavors are more Winchester Farmer’s Market than Baskin Robbins. I tried tequila, key lime pie, papaya, a rum-based ice cream, and pineapple and cheese.

The popsicles are similarly exotic. I wasn’t sure what to expect from my pineapple chili paleta, but it kind of blew my mind. It was fruity with a healthy helping of heat. And even thought it took me a while to eat it (they’re pretty big), it didn’t get melty.

Pineapple Chili Paleta from La Michoacana

Pineapple Chili Paleta from La Michoacana

La Michoacana, like a lot of good things, is located in a strip mall on Summer Ave (they’ve got a second location in Hickory Hill). All of their paletas and ice cream are homemade, and they’ve got refrigerators full of fresh fruit to prove it. Both times I went, they were busy with families lined up at the counter ordering ice cream cones and nachos. The space is long and narrow, with plenty of seating inside.

La Michoacana is open daily until 9 p.m.

Go There:

La Michoacana

4091 Summer Avenue
Memphis, TN

Filed Under:

1. Rachel says:

That place is awesome and they are so friendly. Before he let me order a Popsicle he made me try a half dozen of the ice cream flavors. I went in for one Popsicle and left with 7!!! The strawberry and cream, rice and pistachio were my favorites so far. But I can’t wait to continue exploring the flavors.

2. Kathryn says:

I was JUST saying to my husband yesterday how much I like Las Paletas in Nashville and wishing we had one here – what good news to hear that we actually do!

3. Liz says:

I took 5 little boys there last week after a day at Village Creek in Arkansas and even the pickiest kid found a popsicle that rang his bell. I had mango-chili. It was chillerrific. But I don’t know if it’ll exactly replace other frozen treats in my life. I’ll just have to eat more.

4. Deby says:

This place is way, way, way better than Las Paletas in Nashville – which is billed as like some awesome tourist destination. They’ve got *nothing* on La Michoacana!!!
    They even have some vegan options!!
    This place is amazing! Thanks so much, Kerry – for letting us know about it! You rock (as always)!!!

5. Keith says:

“La Michoacana, like a lot of good things, is located in a strip mall on Summer Ave.” This might be one of the greatest lines I’ve ever read.

6. Emily says:

rose petal popsicle dipped in chocolate….simply amazing!

7. […] presence, but you can find more reviews at Yelp and Urbanspoon.  You can also find write-ups by I Love Memphis, Dining with Monkeys, Whining and Dining, and […]

8. Anoop says:

They just open one on Germantown Parkway by Bone Fish Grill.