Taste Test: Elvis’ Favorite Sandwich

Posted by Holly Whitfield | January 11th 2011 2960 0

January 8 is Elvis’ birthday. In honor of the day, I made one of his favorite snacks: a peanut butter, banana and bacon sandwich.

Peanut butter, banana and bacon sandwich

Elvis was known for eating tons of these crazy Southern sandwiches. They’re easy to make, but they’ve got a crazy amount of flavor.

Here’s how you do it:

Step one: fry some bacon. We can’t have this sandwich getting too healthy.

Step two: slice up a banana.

Step three: assemble the sandwich. Put some peanut butter on bread and stack on the banana and bacon slices.

Step four: butter a skillet (you don’t need much) and cook the sandwich like you would a grilled cheese.

Don’t feel like cooking this yourself? You can order a PB&B sandwich in Memphis at Gladys’ Diner at Graceland or The Arcade Restaurant in the South Main neighborhood in Memphis.

Comments

1. Gigi says:

I’ve never heard of the bacon addition to this, but, it sounds awesome. Elvis liked bacon so I’m sure he did add it (after all, he was a Southern boy). I’ve added several things to a peanut butter and banana sandwich that were really good – cream cheese, marshmallow, white chocolate and grape jelly. Sometimes when I was feeling decadent I would add all of the above.

2. Gigi says:

Crunchy doesn’t work well – try creamy! And share with your dog…he’s Southern. 🙂

3. Gina says:

I grew up on peanut butter and bacon sandwiches. You toast the bread, add butter and creamy peanut butter, and crispy microwaved bacon. I still have cravings for it.

4. Deena says:

Lisa Marie said she never saw Elvis eat a peanut butter and banana sandwich.

5. Amy says:

I remember seeing an interview with Elvis’ old housekeeper and she described making the sandwich for him.

6. […] @jeremy_harvey My all-time fave video blog post: http://bit.ly/nxWOe6 […]

7. […] In honor of what would have been Elvis’ 76th birthday, I made one of his favorite snacks: a peanut butter, banana and bacon sandwich. Find out more at http://ilovememphisblog.com/2011/01/taste-test-elvis-favorite-sandwich/ […]