Thaw Out: 7 Awesome Memphis Soups

Posted by Holly Whitfield | December 8th 2010 2184 0

These cold fronts blowing through Memphis the last few weeks have given me a major soup craving. I’m pretty sure I’ve eaten some kind of soup for at least five of my past seven meals, give or take. If you’ve got similar broth-based needs, check out this short list of favorite local soups (in no particular order):

1. Hot N Sour Soup from Mosa Asian Bistro (850 S. White Station)

This is the one I crave when I start to feel under the weather. There’s something about the combination of flavors that’s so satisfying, it almost has healing properties. Add in some crispy wontons as wanted for a soft crunch in your spoon, too.

2. Potato soup from Huey’s (1927 Madison Avenue)

Huey’s soup is like eating a loaded baked potato in liquid form. The creamy soup is the consistency of liquid mashed potatoes. It’s topped with bacon, green onions and a handful of cheddar cheese.

3. Spicy Tomato Soup from La Baguette

Some creamy tomato soups are too creamy in a way that compromises the tomato flavor, but not so with La Baguette’s version. This bold-flavored soup comes with a spicy kick and a surprisingly generous swirl of irresistible melted cheese floating mid-cup. It’s served with a stack of soft baguette slices, perfect for dipping.

4. Pho from Phuong Long

Everyone in Memphis has their own pho opinion, and Phuong Long is a very popular one. I usually keep it simple with chicken or veggie pho, but you can pick your proteins and accoutrements to your heart’s content at most places. A few other favorites folks love: Pho Saigon, Pho Binh, Pho 64, Le Delights.

5. Ramen from Lucky Cat

Honestly, I couldn’t tell you exactly which ramen is pictured above, but I do know that I liked it and that people go nuts for Lucky Cat. I’m not even a huge fan of ramen personally, but Lucky Cat’s has won me over. You must get a side of chili oil (a little goes a loooong way, but the flavor is amazing) and an extra ajitama (marinated soft-boiled egg).

6. Tortilla Soup from Las Tortugas

This is one of y’all’s favorites, and while I can’t personally haven’t tried it, it seemed ridiculous not to have one of our city’s many delicious Mexican sopas on this list. I have plenty more to try and report back on.

7. French Onion Soup from Cafe Keough

I’m just gonna say it: Cafe Keough’s lovely downtown coffee shop and restaurant (with a full bar!) is underrated. So too is the French Onion soup, which you can get with salad, sandwiches, or pastry.

This post was updated in December 2017

Hope you enjoyed this list of where to get soup in Memphis. A special shout-out to the folks who sent in their ideas for the best soups in Memphis on Twitter. There are quite a few I haven’t had a chance to try yet but they’re on my list. You can also check out this post for some of Memphis’ best soups, stews, and hot drinks to get you through the chilly days.

Filed Under:

Comments

1. OliviaLucille says:

French onion at Cafe 1912. Mmmmmmm.

2. Couple others that I like are the King Crab bisque at Half Shell and the lobster bisque at Belmont.

3. Bianca says:

Soup is the most perfect food ever.

4. Cristen says:

Tomato soup from La Baguette!

5. Caroline says:

Ditto the French onion soup at La Baguette.

6. Jim says:

The tomato soup at La Baguette is fairly awesome.

7. Mike says:

The Chili or Tortilla Soup at Houston’s…

8. Hooper Troopers says:

mmm, soup! We made a Mexican corn chowder (from the Memphis Farmer’s Market cookbook) that was absolutely delicious 🙂 Would love to try the soup from Do.

9. Jesse says:

Some Yummy Additions:
    Greek Lemon Soup from Cafe Eclectic
    Spicy Tomato Soup from La Baguette

10. Don says:

#3 on your list is my favorite (with an avocado blt) – also love the African peanut soup at the Brushmark (Brooks Museum of Art)

11. UnderWraps says:

You may want to double-check, Do isn’t serving lunch during the winter*. I’m not sure if they offer the soups at dinner though.
    *from personal experience!

12. Do Server says:

Unfortunately UnderWraps lunch is no longer served at Do. But the top five soups from the lunch menu are definately served at dinner. Gotta try the kobe beef curry noodles, devine:)

13. Kristin says:

Tortilla Soup at Las Delicias.

14. Amanda says:

The lemon soup at cafe eclectic is so good. But you never know when they’re going to have it. It’s perfect for if you’re sick because it has lemon, chicken, egg and rice!

15. Natalie says:

Saigon Le has the BEST hot and sour soup in the city. It's my go to soup if I have cold or sinus issues.

16. Dfiser says:

You left out what is probably the best Chicken Tortilla Soup in the MEMPHIS area from Las Tortugas on Germantown Parkway. I know you think this is just another chicken tortilla soup but you would be wrong. Jonathan and his dad Pepe’ have added a twist that when combined with the freshness of the ingrediients make this soup one of the best soups that I have ever eaten.

17. Robert says:

Sopa de mariscos at La Guadalupana!

Dang I miss Saigon Le.