Drinking With the Spirits at Mollie Fontaine Lounge

Posted by Holly Whitfield | June 24th 2010 1914 9

Mollie Fontaine Lounge, Memphis, Tenn.

Mollie Fontaine Lounge, Memphis, Tenn.

Last night, I finally got around to going to the Mollie Fontaine Lounge. It’s possibly the most unique bar in Memphis: one that feels so sophisticated it could be in New York, but serves Southern comfort food.

The lounge is tucked into a historic home in Victorian Village (the neighborhood of choice for Memphis’ original elite). It’s named after one of the most famous residents of the surrounding neighborhood (there’s talk that the bar is haunted, but I didn’t see any evidence of it when I was there).

Inside the Mollie Fontaine Lounge, Memphis, Tenn.

Inside the Mollie Fontaine Lounge, Memphis, Tenn.

I was surprised by how packed Mollie Fonatine’s was on a Wednesday night. Memphians of all ages, colors, styles and orientations packed into the cozy front room to listen to a small band. They crowded around the two bars (one upstairs, one downstairs), ordering rosewater martinis and mojitos. They sprawled on mid-centrury modern couches and chairs, talking and people watching and checking out the eclectic artwork.

The lounge has a full tapas menu and live music (sometimes a DJ, sometimes a band, sometimes both) on the weekends.

Go There:

Mollie Fontaine Lounge

Open at 5 p.m., Wednesday – Saturday

679 Adams Avenue
Memphis, TN 38105
(901) 524-1886

Comments

1. Mark Richens says:

DJ Witnesse and DJ Handsome Mark every Thursday night upstairs. Dubstep, funky, disco, downtempo. Thanks for the plug, Kerry!

2. Jamie says:

Just a bit-o-history: Mollie Fontaine was Noland Fontaine’s daughter. She grew up in the Woodruff-Fontaine House across from the lounge on Adams. The lounge, or Fontaine Taylor House was built as a wedding present for her.

3. Jason Meserve says:

Have you ever checked out the different groups in Memphis on meetup.com? The first one I joined over 2 years ago was a dining out meetup group that is still going strong.
    Anyway, the very first meetup I attended was at Mollie Fontaine’s. To this day I would have to say that was one of the best meetups we’ve done. The atmosphere was fantastic and cozy. we all sat around comfortable in the downstairs bar area when a live jazz singer was accompanied by a mello piano.
    It was a most excellent experience and one of the reasons that I keep going back to the meetups.

4. Emily says:

putting this on my to do list!

5. Patrice says:

I am soooo in love with Mollie Fontaine's!! I love the crowd it draws and the food is delicious!! I try to go at least once a week, and when I dont make it, my whole week is off!