Lunch at Automatic Slim’s

Posted by Holly Whitfield | September 9th 2009 645 0

I was planning to go to Cafe 61 for lunch today because I have a major soft spot for the near cardiac arrest that is their crawfish mac and cheese. There was just one small problem with that plan – Cafe 61 has apparently been closed for about six months.

Oops.

Instead, I went next door to Automatic Slim’s Tonga Club. It was weirdly empty for 12:30 on a week day (I was the only person there for a good 20 minutes).

I’m not sure why it was so empty – it’s a great space, and the food was reasonably priced. I had the soup and salad combo with squash soup (if they’re serving this when you’re there, eat it) and mixed greens with lemon vinaigrette.

What do you look for in a great lunch spot? What are your local favorites?

Go There:
Automatic Slim’s Tonga Club
83 S 2nd St
Memphis, TN 38103
(901) 525-7948

Automatic Slim's Tonga Club on Urbanspoon

Comments

1. Rikki says:

Location, location,location.

Location counts a lot — but Automatic Slim’s is worth the drive from the burbs to me. Memphis is fortunate to have such a wealth of local restauranteurs like Karen Blockman Carrier, Jimmie Ishi, and so many others. We could cast several seasons of Top Chef Masters without leaving the city! How yummy is that?

2. Brit says:

Well, if you liked the lunch (and are a fan of martinis) you’ll have to go back for dinner/drinks. While it’s a bit of a drive for me too, I’ll go to taste their EXCELLENT martini list. Their key lime martini is better than key lime pie itself. And for some reason, the it’s always as empty when I’m eating dinner, too. Hmm..

3. April says:

Hi I just found your blog, it’s great!
    I just heard about Cafe 61, it was one of my favorites. Harry’s Detour over off of Main has some similar dishes.

4. Peter says:

My favorite midtown spots (not that I can make it there during the regular work week from Collierville) are Cafe Eclectic, Golden India’s Buffet (better than India Palace by far IMHO), and Raffe’s Deli which isn’t exactly midtown, but I used to live about 2 blocks away and I really miss going there. Also one more is Petra on Madison.. I assume it’s open for lunch but I’ve only gone for dinner.

5. Pat H says:

We try to eat at Auromatic Slims every time we come to or through Memphis. The Jerk dishes are the best.